- "It's Hero Time!"
- ―Ben Tennyson
Benjamin Kirby "Ben" Tennyson also known as Ben 10 is a main character in 5 Years Later. He first appeared in Chapter 1: Alienated. He is a Human originating from the planet Earth in the Ben 10 Universe.
Originally a normal ten-year-old kid from Bellwood, Ben stumbled upon the Omnitrix, a powerful watch-like device that allowed him to transform into numerous amounts of aliens. Utilizing this, he became a famous superhero on Earth and beyond, saving the Universe on various occasions.
Ben Tennyson is a Caucasian human with brown, unkempt hair, and lime-green eyes. He is very lean and somewhat underdeveloped due to the majority of his adult life handling situations in alien form. Recently, Ben grew a goatee beard. He also has a scar on his right pec.
Ben is confident, comedic, and an incredible strategist. When he was younger, he was much less serious, cocky, and a shoot-first-ask-questions-later type of guy.
His ability to lead has noticeably developed, so much so that his Grandpa Max has consigned him with the responsibility of mentoring five new Plumber recruits, including Lula. He is shown to be very resourceful, making the most with what he is given in any situation.
He cares for others more than himself and has even given up his own life to save another on multiple occasions. During fights, he always prioritizes keeping civilians in the area safe. He is willing to help anyone in need and see to it that they are able to solve any problems that they might have in the future.
- Photographic Memory- He has some form of photographic memory.
- Combative Skills- He is an excellent hand-to-hand combatant, being trained by Gwendolyn, as well as by gaining experience through his various years of fighting aliens. He has also received essential Plumber training, and has held his own with proficient fighters even in his human form. He is never shown using any specific fighting style but uses freestyle, which helps make him unpredictable in a fight.
- Weaponry Skills- He has extraordinary marksmanship with a variety of weapons, most likely due to his experience using transformations with projectiles.
- High Pain Tolerance- Ben has been shown to be able to recover from and endure more damage and pain than the average Human, being smacked around by large opponents and having large objects fall on him.
- Omnitrix- Ben is the wielder of the Omnitrix, rumored to be the most powerful weapon in the galaxy. Ben has complete mastery over the device and all of his transformations. He is very instinctive, using whatever he is given in almost any moment to his advantage. When he was younger, he would often become a different transformation than what he originally intended to use, but found ways to make them useful most of the time.
- Human Weaknesses- Ben may be a smart, skilled fighter, but without his transformations, he is still just a human. If he is caught off guard or can't react fast enough to an attack, he could potentially be killed. His failsafe prevents him from dying, but enemies can still bypass this with enough preparation and understanding of the Omnitrix.
- Transformation Weaknesses- If one of his transformations is susceptive to a circumstantial attack, he also has a risk of being beaten or even dying if he is exposed to it.
- Body Underdevelopment- Due to spending most of his time in alien form, Ben's body is largely underdeveloped and therefore he is both smaller and less physically fit than others of his age.
Pre 5 Years Later
Finding the Omnitrix
Ben was a normal 10-year-old boy, but that all changed when at the start of his summer trip with his grandfather Max and cousin Gwen, Ben discovered an alien device called the Omnitrix. This was later revealed to have happened because the Omnitrix was locked on to Max's DNA, however, Ben's own DNA was close enough to Max's, that it allowed the device to attach itself upon the boy's wrist. On that same night, Ben fought his first battle against one of Vilgax's drones and won. However, when all was said and done, Ben couldn't sleep as the events that happened that day were all piling up in his mind. His grandfather confronted him, and that talk made Ben remind himself if he ever felt unsure about himself or his choice to be a hero, that it was always time to be a hero, hence where his hero cry comes into play, "it's Hero Time."
It was during this summer Ben first meets his first rival, later friend and teammate, Kevin Levin. The 11-year-old boy ended up absorbing some of Ben's Omnitrix DNA, causing a major mutation and turning him into Kevin 11.
First Encounter with Vilgax
During his trip, he would encounter one of the most feared and dangerous beings in the galaxy, Vilgax, who wanted to use the Omnitrix to create an unstoppable army for conquest. It was during their first battle that Max revealed the truth of his past, and Ben manages to defeat Vilgax for the first time.
Four Years Later
Ben is now a teenager at the age of 15, living a normal life without the Omnitrix. However, when Max goes missing, Ben reequips the Omnitrix. The Omnitrix soon recalibrates itself after being off for several years, locking away all of Ben's old transformations, while giving him 10 new ones in their place. Ben and his cousin Gwen, now more skilled with magic, meet up with Kevin Levin during a weapons deal with the Forever Knights, DNAliens, and himself. After the conflict, and the death of Magister Labrid, the three decide to work together and fend off against the Highbreed invasion.
Trouble with Kevin
Aggregor, an evil Osmosian set on gaining limitless power, collects all pieces of The Map of Infinity to travel to the Forge of Creation (Birthplace of Celestialsapiens) to obtain their great power. In order to prevent him from absorbing a baby Celestialsapien, Kevin absorbs Ben's Omnitrix and becomes a fusion of all of Ben's current transformations. Although Kevin successfully defeats Aggregor, the immense power causes him to lose his sanity, turning him into a highly dangerous villain set on taking revenge on those who wronged him in the past. In order to stop him, Ben and Gwen get into a moral debate on whether or not they should save Kevin, or kill him before he hurts anyone else. After Gwen attempts to save him but fails, Ben and Kevin face off in a final battle, which results in Kevin being restored back to normal.
The Time War
As an evil Chronosapien named Maltruant was gathering pieces of himself scattered in time and space, Ben from different points of time was forced to fight against him and his servants. During their final encounter, Ben used the power of all his transformations to contain the Big Bang created by the Annihilaarg and defeated Maltruant.
Prior to 5 Years Later
In And Beyond Episode 5: Krypton and Vegeta, During his road trip across space at age 16, Ben and the rest of the team, traveled to the planet Vegeta. There, Ben acquired the DNA for MonKi from Tomma.
On his 18th birthday, Ben was deemed worthy by Azmuth and received the Master Control, which unlocked every single DNA Sample in the Omnitrix, along with other features. Over the following days, weeks, months, and years Ben discovered many new transformations that he still uses to this day. He used Slampeed for the first time within days of getting Master Control, Slingshot one year later, and UltraViolent two years later.
Ben had an encounter with someone named Dr. Logic when he was 19 years old. Dr. Logic disagreed heavily with the way Ben handled using his Omnitrix. Blinded by his goal to "fine-tune humanity", Dr. Logic eventually forced Ben into a scenario with an impossible morally-correct choice, challenging everything Ben stood for as a hero. All evidence of the event was wiped from Plumber Archives, and Ben has not talked about him since. The event changed Ben's ways of how he used the Omnitrix from that point forward.
When he is not busy saving the world, Ben teaches his own recruits (namely The Orion Squad) at the Plumbers' Academy.
In The Message, while battling Psyphon as Mantabolt, Ben contacts Blukic and Driba about a problem with his messaging system. After the battle, Ben contacts them again to see if they found a solution, only for them to realize that he simply forgot to unmute his messages.
5 Years Later
- In Chapter 1: Alienated (Page 7- 53), Ben along with Rook, head to the Rooter's Base after an alarm is set off. He and Rook then get into a battle with Danny, believing him to be an intruder. After using Echo Echo, Ben awakens a Way Bad and a fight ensues where Ben and Danny call a truce and teams up to defeat the monster. After the battle, Ben takes Danny back to the Plumber Base to help him find a way back home.
- In Chapter 2: The Lonely Ghost (Page 1- 24), Ben discusses with Danny ways to get him home. He later leaves with Danny for Bellwood, when Lula informs him of a threat detected in the city by Max's Plumbing.
- In Chapter 3: Reunion (Page 1- 50), Ben engages Vlad in combat while Danny is down and after being easily defeated by him, changes his priority towards getting the civilians out of harm's way using XLR8, while Danny keeps Vlad occupied. After successfully getting the civilian population out of danger, he uses Gravattack to pin Vlad so Danny can question him, but he escapes after Eon arrives to save Vlad, unbeknownst to Ben.
- In Chapter 5: Oversight (Page 5- 33), Ben arrives back at the Plumber Base with Danny after their battle with Vlad. Ben fills The Orion Squad in on the battle and its purpose and checks in to make sure nothing happened at the base while he was on the mission. To his dismay, he discovers that some files have been stolen and corrupted and chews out Lula on her failure to keep the base secure. He later meets Gwen and Kevin when they arrive at the base and they discuss where to go from here with Vlad. While the Heroes rig a Null Void Projector, Ben informs The Orion Squad that Cooper is to be their Acting Commander in his absence and an argument ensues between Ben and Lula. Ben later follows Vlad's trail, along with the rest of the Heroes into Zim's Dimension.
- In Chapter 6: Weightless (Page 5- 35), Ben engages Vlad in combat as UltraViolent but is unable to harm him and is taunted by Vlad, who escapes Ghostfreak's tentacles. Ben now attempts to quickly end the battle by destroying The Massive but, he creates a Black Hole and uses NRG (With some help from Danny) to collapse the Black Hole. He is successful but is immediately knocked unconscious afterwards. It is during this event, that he discovers that Eon is the true mastermind of this operation.
- In Chapter 7: Fold (Page 9- 49), Ben interrogates Zim using Pesky Dust to discover Eon's location. A debate breaks out between Ben and Kevin over whether or not he should utilize Alien X, where Ben explains why he refuses to use him. Later, Ben talks to his grandpa, Max using the Omnitrix, where Max gives Ben advice on what to do next. After informing Danny of his job as leader of the upcoming battle, Ben activates the Uniform Mode and travels with The Heroes, to the Keshawn Desert for a confrontation between them and The Alliance.
- In Chapter 8: Risen (Page 1- 53), Ben battles the Alternative Ben Tennysons using various transformations. After one of them turns into Planet Buster, Ben has little choice and activates The Powerhouse Playlist, containing his 10 most powerful transformations and turns into Atomix to battle the powerful fusion.
- In Chapter 9: Time Out (Page 7- 34), Ben arrives back to the surface as Way Big to fight Eon (now declaring himself Divinity), but is quickly defeated by the latter with a single punch. After recovering, he uses Soarnitho to aid Gwen in casting a spell that will allow them to go back in time and stop Eon from evolving. They are stopped by Divinity, who prevents them from traveling back in time. When a being from the future known as Future Fenton, is forced out of the time-stream as well, Ben as MonKi teamed up with the future warrior to fight Divinity. After engaging Divinity, they try to find and save an exhausted Danny from Vlad's clutches.
- In Chapter 10: Again (Page 1- 32), Ben as Buck Wild battles an army of Vlad's image clones alongside Danny and Future Fenton. After Danny destroys them, Ben taunts Divinity, who is insulted by Ben using these trivial forms. After Divinity breaks through Future Fenton's shield, Ben takes both Danny and Future Fenton away from the battle in retreat. Using Portaler, he creates a portal that will take them out of the Temporal Zone to escape Vlad and Divinity but Danny refuses, saying they should stay and fight and an argument breaks out between Ben and Danny. After Future Fenton helps settle the argument, Vlad attacks Ben and the others. Ben uses Portaler to create two wormholes that become unstable due to the sensitivity of the Temporal Zone to tip the scales of the battle, but Divinity comes in, takes the wormholes, and claps them against Ben's face, causing a ripple that destroys the platform they are on. Ben is caught by Divinity, who taunts him to use his most powerful form, Alien X. Ben questions Divinity's leadership and loyalty to his people but his words are turned back to him by Divinity, saying his lack of leadership has caused his friends and teammates to suffer.
- In Chapter 11: Shattered (Page 6-41), Ben as Portaler, breaks him and Danny free from Divinity's reality hold and unleashes a simultaneous attack alongside Danny that causes Divinity to vanish. With the Orion Squad now falling due to Divinity's portal disappearing, Ben transforms into The Void to occupy Vlad and Technus as Big Ben and keep him and Danny together. Ben later transforms into Full Stop to trap Vlad in a prison of dark matter. Vlad quickly escapes and traps Danny inside, forcing Ben and later the Orion Squad as the Orion Knight to continue the battle against Vlad and Big Ben.
5 Years Later
- Chapter 1: Alienated (first appearance)
- Chapter 2: The Lonely Ghost
- Chapter 3: Reunion
- Chapter 4: The Fallen Gods(mentioned)
- Chapter 5: Oversight
- Chapter 6: Weightless
- Chapter 7: Fold
- Chapter 8: Risen
- Chapter 9: Time Out
- Chapter 10: Again
- Chapter 11: Shattered
- Ben voices Vilgax in the 5YL universe's Ben 10 cartoon, a nod to how Yuri Lowenthal voices Vilgax in the Ben 10 reboot.
- Ben grew a goatee so that Gwen would stop teasing him about how young he looks.
- Ben's life was a chapter and a half in the Plumber's Handbook when he was 16, although it is presumably much longer now.
- His birthday is December 27th, 1995, the same date as his cousin Gwen was born.
- He obtained an honorary Ph. D. from Friedkin University.
- The Uniform that the Omnitrix gave Ben resembles outfits that Ben 10,000 has previously worn.
- The scar on his right pec is from a battle with Looma, when he was 19.
- Ben has an apartment in South Dakota.
- This apartment is located where Omnitrix City is currently being built.
- Ben uses his paychecks and rewards to fund the development of Omnitrix City.
- This apartment is located where Omnitrix City is currently being built.